When we last left off, I was in the throes of making non-dairy Chocolate Rainbow Cookie Ice Cream. The cookie part was done and we were getting ready to dive into ice cream.
Non-Dairy Chocolate (and Banana) Ice Cream
With cookies mixed in, makes about 3 pints
Adapted from David Lebovitz’s Banana-Brown Sugar Ice Cream
4. Cook the bananas and brown sugar for approximately 45 minutes, mixing every ten minutes or so so that the bananas and sugar caramelize equally.
5. In a blender or food processor, blend the bananas and sugar until smooth.
8. Add salt, brandy and vanilla extract and mix.
9. Let custard chill overnight in the fridge.
10. Freeze mixture according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.
11. When transferring into tupperware, mix in crumbled cookie pieces.
I didn’t intend for the ice cream to taste as strongly as it did of bananas. But, the banana taste cut right through the chocolate. Bananas and chocolate are delicious together, so this wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. But if you’re going for more chocolate and less banana, go ahead and up the cocoa powder by a lot.
Also, this ice cream freezes harder than regular with-cream ice cream, so you will need to take it out of your freezer a few minutes before you serve it to let it soften.
But as far as non-dairy, cream-less ice creams go, I would definitely make this again.