On vacation, I stayed with a few friends in different cities. When I came back, I wanted to send them something as a thank you. Enter cookie mix in a jar:
The jars are 1 liter jars from Sur la Table. And the sand-art style chocolate chip cookie mix is entirely homemade.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix in a Jar
Recipe from Meals.com
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup walnuts
1. Mix together flour, salt and baking soda. Pour into the bottom of the jar.
2. Put chocolate chips in the jar.
3. Put brown sugar in the jar and press down into a firm layer.
4. Add regular sugar to the top.
5. Put walnuts in a plastic sandwich bag and put into the top. Plastic bag not required, but this lets the person getting the mix decide whether or not they want nuts (in case any of their friends are allergic).
6. The jar should be full now, but if not, stuff the top with saran wrap.
7. Add ribbons, thank you (or other occasion) card, and instructions for how to make the cookies.
I hand-wrote the following instructions in the card:
To Make the Cookies:
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
2. Beat together 1 egg, 3/4 cups butter, and 3/4 tsp vanilla extract.
3. Mix in cookie mix (nuts optional).
4. Put rounded tablespoons of cookie dough on cookie sheet.
5. Bake approx. 9-11 minutes.
I’ve never made these cookies all the way through to completion. But they make a mighty cute gift.
If you plan to put them in the mail, they fit in the medium flat rate box, need about one roll of USPS sold bubble wrap each, and require you to lie to the postal worker when they ask you to confirm that there’s nothing fragile in your package.