Only an Iron Chef challenger would be brave enough to take Thanksgiving ice cream to it’s most extreme conclusion: Turkey Ice Cream (jump to 5:15 to get right to the good stuff).
Which is why I made Maple Ice Cream (to go with pie!) while watching the parade yesterday morning. And judging by the speed at which it was devoured at Thanksgiving dessert last night, I have to say mine was way better than the Two Hot Tamales’.
Maple Ice Cream
From The Perfect Scoop
Makes about 1 quart
1. Separate the eggs.
2. Whisk the yolks.
3. Pour the heavy cream into a bowl and put aside (in the fridge).
4. In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and sugar until steaming.
5. Take warm mixture off of heat, and slowly pour about half of it into the egg yolks, mixing/whisking the whole time.
6. Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan, and head over med/low heat until it thickens, stirring the whole time (about 5-6 minutes).
7. Pour the warm mixture through a strainer into the heavy cream.
9. Add syrup, vanilla, and salt to custard and stir.
10. Cool the custard (I left it in the fridge overnight).
11. Freeze as directed.
12. Eat! (with pie!)