So there’s no fun story tonight. Just deliciousness in the form of Salted-Caramel Fudge-Brownie Ice Cream.
1. Spread sugar evenly in bottom of saucepan.
2. Heat sugar over moderate heat.
3. As sugar begins to melt, stir melted bits so that it melts equally.
4. Continue cooking and stirring until sugar is completely melted and begins smoking.
5. Add salt.
6. Pour onto cookie sheet and tilt cookie sheet so the caramel spreads into a thin layer.
7. Set aside to harden.
Salted-Caramel Ice Cream
1. Put 1 cup of the milk in an ice bath.
2. Spread sugar evenly in bottom of saucepan.
3. Follow the same steps you used to make the caramel to melt the sugar.
4. Remove from heat and add salt and butter. Stir while butter melts. (It will bubble up totally awesomely.)
5. Whisk in the cream. If the caramel starts to harden, put it back over heat to melt it.
6. Add the remaining cup of milk.
7. Whisk the egg yolks in a separate bowl.
8. Pour some of the warm mixture into the eggs while stiring.
9. Once about half of the warm mixture is in the eggs, pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan.
10. Put over heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.
11. Pour mixture through a strainer into the milk that’s been taking an ice bath.
12. Cool the whole thing (by putting it in the fridge).
13. Freeze according to directions.
14. While the ice cream is freezing, crumble up your caramel and cut up last week’s brownies into little pieces.
15. When ice cream is fully churned, stir in caramel and brownie bits.
16. Freeze in your freezer.
NOTE: The caramel will be hard crunchy pieces at first. As it sits in the ice cream in your freezer it will dissolve into caramel goo.
NOTE: I cannot overstate how delicious this is. I ate the whole batch by myself in about four days.