You’d think it would be easy to find a video on youtube of the personalities on Best Week Ever declaring things “UPGRADE!” You’d be wrong.
But I’m moved into my new apartment. And it totally deserves a bunch of comedians in front of rainbow backgrounds saying “UPGRADE” while giving it the thumbs up. (I would say I miss Best Week Ever, but my heart belongs to Joel McHale on The Soup, so I don’t really.)
And what’s there to do with a new kitchen other than make ice cream? Way back when I got my ice cream maker, I made Guinness Ice Cream. It used one bottle from the six pack. I moved with the remaining five. In an effort to not still have five of them when I next move in a few years’ time, I decided to make Guinness Ice Cream again.
Guinness Ice Cream
Recipe adapted from Food & Wine Magazine Website
Makes about 1.25 Quarts
1 cup Guinness
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
7 egg yolks
1. Whisk together egg yolks and sugar
2. Mix Guinness, heavy cream, and whole milk together in a saucepan. Bring it to a simmer over med/high heat.
3. Take off of heat, and pour about half of the Guinness/cream mixture into the eggs, whisking while you do so.
4. Pour egg mixture back into saucepan with Guinness/cream mixture.
5. Head custard over med. heat, stirring constantly until mixture coats the back of a spoon (about 6 minutes).
6. Pour custard through a sieve into a bowl.
7. Let cool (I put the bowl with ice cream into an ice bath, and then put the whole thing in the fridge).
8. Freeze according to directions.